As I can no longer find the time to combat the continued attacks on the forums they will be closed over the next few weeks. Assistance emails can be sent to support@zebsboards.com however, please be patient as I am currently focused on efforts to get the store functioning properly. Thank you for your understanding.

Is my board fried?

Post V2 Plunger Questions and Requests For Assistance here
Hollis

Is my board fried?

Post by Hollis » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:52 pm

I have the Digital Plunger Deluxe V2 Rev 1 board and plunger. I have been building out my pinball cabinet and it is almost done. Yesterday it was working great and I was playing games to test out the plunger and button. Today I was completing the wiring on the lighting for the buttons and I accidentally took a covered blade connector that was connected to the 12 volt on the board for output and brushed one of the Magna save leaf contact points on the inside and only connected the both for quarter of a second and thought that was not too bad. However, since that, I have been unable to see the board in my Devices and Printers folder on my Windows 10 computer and I do not see it in the device manager. The board lights up red and the buttons still lights up but there are no input from any of the buttons. In my device manager, I only see one COM1 device in Ports. I would appreciate any help on figuring how I broke this and how to resolve it?

Is it:
1) Board is fried from such a slight brush?
2) Somehow I reset/corrupted the firmware on it? Can this be re-flashed somehow? Do I need to ship the board in?
3) Is it a mis-configuration on my computer somewhere?

Attached a snapshot of my device manager (took with a phone camera, that computer tower is not on the network).
Thank you!
Hollis
20191013_185058_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zebulon
Site Admin

Re: Is my board fried?

Post by Zebulon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:58 pm

Hi Hollis,

From what you described you have shorted the microcontroller chip by applying 12V+ to the input (which is 5v negative) which most certainly has fried the board. How long it was shorted for makes no difference as the damage would have been instantaneous.

Hollis

Post by Hollis » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:31 am

Bummer, that happens. Is it possible to order only a replacement board from Zebsboard that will work with the v2 plunger?

Zebulon
Site Admin

Post by Zebulon » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:08 pm

I have the parts to possibly repair it but I have no blanks as that version has reached its EOL.