As I can no longer find the time to combat the continued attacks on the forums they will be closed over the next few weeks. Assistance emails can be sent to support@zebsboards.com however, please be patient as I am currently focused on efforts to get the store functioning properly. Thank you for your understanding.

PC hangs on startup/reboot unless Plunger is unplugged.

Post V3 Plunger Questions and Requests For Assistance here
woodstockarcades

PC hangs on startup/reboot unless Plunger is unplugged.

Post by woodstockarcades » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:38 am

Issue: When I boot/reboot, the computer basically hangs on the boot screen, sometimes boot loops, sometimes gets to Windows after a couple minutes. If at any point I unplug the usb from the PC or the plunger, it boots immediately/exits the boot loop. It is 100% caused by the plunger. I have just tested my second plunger and the issue is identical. That said, I've tested on a separate PC and it boots fine. I'm thinking there must be a driver missing/issue that is causing the conflict. Maybe something in the bios? I did a quick run through of the BIOS and removed anything regarding looking at the USB on startup (ie usb listed in boot order). No luck, staring at a frozen boot screen that's instantly fixed when I unplug the plunger.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

Edit: To be clear, the plunger board itself seems to be fine, but between the plunger and this specific PC, there appears to be a conflict.
Edit 2: The same issue is not present on the USB shaker

Zebulon
Site Admin

Re: PC hangs on startup/reboot unless Plunger is unplugged.

Post by Zebulon » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:49 pm

The issue is that the plunger is a partial keyboard. When the computer is booting the plunger already has booted and appears as a keyboard but doesn't respond in the expected manner. This causes Windows to search for a matching device and causes the hang.

The solution is to turn off USB charging in the BIOS. When the computer has the charging circuit on the plunger doesn't reset and so is already booted up as a keyboard and the issue persists. If you can't turn off the charging (some mainboards make that stupidly difficult) then turn off legacy USB devices in the BIOS. This will force windows to ignore it until after boot. The downside to this is that if you are looking to get into the BIOS with a USB keyboard you'll have difficulty with timing the keypress to do so since the keyboard would be considered to be a 'legacy USB' device.

woodstockarcades

Re: PC hangs on startup/reboot unless Plunger is unplugged.

Post by woodstockarcades » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:44 pm

Thanks very much. That info helps out. I'll try the different configurations in the BIOS and see which one works best. Thanks for the help.