As I can no longer find the time to combat the continued attacks on the forums they will be closed over the next few weeks. Assistance emails can be sent to support@zebsboards.com however, please be patient as I am currently focused on efforts to get the store functioning properly. Thank you for your understanding.

Issues with nudge and plunger

Post V3 Plunger Questions and Requests For Assistance here
jfichtner

Issues with nudge and plunger

Post by jfichtner » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:02 am

Hello Steve, and other fellow pinballers!

Unfortunately I have a few issues. First, when I enable analog nudge in VPX I get a slant in the table that draws the ball to the back left corner. I've used the "Nudge test and Calibration" table to try to make adjustments to the X and Y-Gain and dead zone params, but to no avail. The sensor values reported by the table have an offset from zero, which explains the ball pull, but I thought that the auto-calibration was supposed to eliminate that offset? Or is that only for the plunger (Z-axis)? The offset obviously gets worse when I increase the gain pot, which leads me to my second issue.

Second issue is that even with the sensitivity jacked all the way up it seems there is basically zero reaction from the ball when nudging the cab. The little black things at the front of the Nudge test and Calibration table seem to react, but the balls don't, at least not much. This is certainly a VPX issue, and not necessarily one with the plunger itself, so feel free to ignore this one in your response, but I figured if you had any advise on that I'd take it!

Lastly, the plunger also doesn't seem to be working properly, because there are spots where I pull it to and release, and it doesn't even touch the ball. I did find some forum posts related to this, and the solution for them seemed to be related to alignment. However, I noticed with my plunger that when I pull back on it, the whole mechanism (the board and 3D printed plastic) bends downward, then it bends back up when I release. I made a video of this: https://youtu.be/YQd8SeoEQEk

Since the position of this board affects the playfield, I assume this is not good? Especially since it likely won't always return to the exact same position. Or is this bend intended by design? I did also see one forum post where someone said that the spring on their plunger was just too stiff, and replacing it with a less stiff one fixed their issue. I am using a VirtuaPin plunger. Not sure where I'd find an alternate spring, so any suggestions on that, if that might be the problem, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!